2 bicyclists crash while riding down bridge to Clearwater Beach | News
Clearwater, Florida -- Two bicyclists were taken to area hospitals Monday after they crashed their bicycles while on the bridge to Clearwater Beach.
City officials say around 11:42 a.m., 64-year-old David Carlivati was riding his bicycle westbound down the north sidewalk of the Memorial Causeway Bridge when he lost control at the bottom and traveled into the grass. At some point, he was thrown from the bike and flew several feet before landing on the sidewalk.
Although he was wearing a helmet, Carlivati suffered head injuries and was flown to Bayfront Medical Center. As of Wednesday morning, he is in critical condition.
About 15 minutes later, officials say a second bicyclist heading west on the south sidewalk of the causeway apparently crashed his bike when he lost control while traveling down the bridge. He suffered a broken bone in his arm and was taken to Largo Medical Center for treatment.
If you have never traveled on the Memorial Causeway Bridge, click here to see just how steep it is.
Upcoming Events near Clearwater Beach
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Dancing and live entertainment at Largo's Holiday Showcase Event
- ONLY ON 10: Man goes to Philippines to find in-laws
- Florida Botanical Gardens holiday light display opens
- World's premier Chinese acrobatic company coming to Largo Cultural Center
- Largo rape suspect still at large after attacking 60-year-old